State: District of Columbia
Operated by former U.S. Marine Corps Band member Gaetano Carusi and his family, Carusi's Saloon was a popular entertainment venue and music hall. In 1846, it was located on the north side of C Street between Tenth and Eleventh streets west. The Carusi family continued to run Carusi's until the early 1860s, when it closed.
"Italy in the White House: Carusi's Saloon Menu," The White House Historical Association, https://www.whitehousehistory.org/photos/italy-in-the-white-house-carusis-saloon-menu, accessed 13 September 2019; Gaither & Addison, comps., The Washington Directory, and National Register, for 1846 (Washington, DC: John T. Towers, 1846), 30; Edward Waite, comp., The Washington Directory, and Congressional, and Executive Register, for 1850 (Washington, DC: Columbus Alexander, 1850), 14; Boyd's Washington and Georgetown Directory (Washington, DC: Taylor and Maury, 1860), 222.