Central Transcript
City:
Clinton
County:
DeWitt
State:
Illinois
John R. Blackford and Isaac N. Coltrin established the Central Transcript in September 1856 as a Republican newspaper. They edited the paper from 1856-57, with Blackford editing the paper solo for most of 1857. Coltrin and B. T. Jones assumed editorship of the paper in November 1857. Jones sold his interest in the paper to James W. De Lay in November 1858, and De Lay and Coltrin edited the paper together as partners until 1859, changing the name of the paper to the Weekly Central Transcript. Coltrin stayed on as editor, partnering with Joe M. Prior from August 1859 to July 1861, then the paper underwent another reorganization with A. J. Blackford succeeding Prior. Coltrin served as editor alongside Blackford until November 1861, then alongside James M. De Lay from 1861-62. On May 30, 1862, M. M. De Levis and O. F. Morrison purchased the paper,
consolidated it with the Pana Public, changed the name of the paper to the Clinton Public, and resumed publication on June 1, 1862. On July 2, 1863, De Levis became sole owner and editor and renamed the paper again, to the DeWitt County Public and Central Transcript. De Levis remained on as sole editor until well after the Civil War.
Franklin William Scott, Newspapers and Periodicals of Illinois, 1814-1879, vol. 6 of Collections of the Illinois State Historical Library
(Springfield: Illinois State Historical Library, 1910), 151-52; W. R. Brink, History of De Witt County, Illinois (Philadelphia: W. R. Brink, 1882), 99.