Illinois State Library
The Illinois State Library dates back to 1839 when the Illinois General Assembly enacted a law appropriating the sum of $5,000 for the purpose of paying for a law and miscellaneous library for the use of the General Assembly and the Illinois Supreme Court. In December 1842, the General Assembly passed an act that separated the law books from the miscellaneous collection, the latter to compose the State Library under the secretary of state, who became the ex-officio state librarian. This act defined the duties of the librarian, set policies for borrowing and returning books, and defined penalties for damaged or unreturned books. In January 1847, the General Assembly enacted legislation that further defined the duties of the librarian and permitted the secretary of state to sell surplus volumes of the
An Act Making an Appropriation for a Library for the Use of the Legislature and Supreme Court; "An Act concerning the State Library," 15 December 1842, Laws of Illinois (1843), 290-91; "An Act to Amend an Act in Relation to the State Library," 27 January 1847, Laws of Illinois (1847), 160-61; "An Act to Authorize the State Librarian to Repair the Library Room, and for Other Purposes," 12 February 1853, General Laws of Illinois (1853), 229; "An Act to Authorize the Purchase of Books for the State Library," 15 February 1855, Laws of Illinois (1855), 171; James A. Rose, comp., Blue Book of the State of Illinois (Springfield, IL: Phillips Bros., 1903), 480.