Kentucky Court of Appeals
The Kentucky Court of Appeals was the highest judicial tribunal in Kentucky during the nineteenth century. Following the model of the U.S. Constitution, the Kentucky Court of Appeals sat atop the state judiciary, one of the three branches of the state government. Under provisions of the state constitution of 1792, the court had original and final jurisdiction in all cases respecting titles to land under the land laws of Virginia, and appellate jurisdiction only in all other cases. In the second state constitution of 1799, the court had appellate jurisdiction only. Justices held their positions during good behavior, subject to removal by the governor, with the approval of two-thirds of the Senate, for reasonable cause. Under provisions of the state constitution of 185o, the number of justices was set at four. Delegates to the constitutional convention authorized that the Kentucky General Assembly divide the commonwealth into four districts, with qualified voters in each district electing one judge to the court. After their first term, judges held their offices for eight years from and after their election, until their successors were elected and qualified for service on the court. The governor retained the right of removal for reasonable cause.
Ken. Const. of 1792, art. V, § 1-5; Ken. Const. of 1799, art. IV, § 1-3; Ken. Const. of 1850, art. IV, § 1-4.