Knapp & Pogue
Operated by Thomas Pogue and Augustus Knapp, the firm was prominent in Beardstown, Illinois from 1829 throughout the 1830s. The partnership constructed and operated several business establishments, including a warehouse and a steam mill, and they later dealt in agricultural grain products. The firm also operated a store in Jacksonville as early as 1831, as well. In 1835, the firm closed its mercantile store in Beardstown and became a commission and forwarding agent, arranging shipping of goods.
William Henry Perrin, ed., History of Cass County, Illinois (Chicago: O. L. Baskin, 1882), 31, 114-15, 184; Newton Bateman, Paul Selby, and Charles Æ Martin, eds., Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Cass County (Chicago: Munsell, 1915), 673; History of Morgan County, Illinois: Its Past and Present (Chicago: Donnelley, Loyd, 1878), 263; Sangamo Journal (Springfield, IL), 9 November 1833, 4:3, 28 March 1835, 1:2, 4:3.