County: Cook County, Illinois
Chicago's second hotel was built in 1837 and named City Hotel. Chicago Mayor Francis C. Sherman purchased it in 1845, expanding the hotel and renaming it Sherman House. Halfway between water and rail transportation, Sherman House achieved great success as a prime landmark in the city.
William R. Host and Brooke Ahne Portmann, Early Chicago Hotels (Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2006), 9.