Walter Harper & Company
State: District of Columbia
Walter Harper & Company was a dry goods establishment operated by Walter Harper and his partners. In 1846, the store was located on the north side of Pennsylvania Avenue between Twelfth and Thirteenth streets west. The store continued in this location until 1860, when Harper went into partnership with John T. Mitchell, and Harper & Mitchell opened a store at 312 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Gaither & Addison, comps., The Washington Directory, and National Register, for 1846 (Washington, DC: John T. Towers, 1846), 47; Edward Waite, comp., The Washington Directory, and Congressional, and Executive Register, for 1850 (Washington, DC: Columbus Alexander, 1850), 38; Alfred Hunter, comp., The Washington and Georgetown Directory, Strangers' Guide-Book for Washington, and Congressional and Clerks' Register (Washington, DC: Kirkwood & McGill, 1853), 46; William H. Boyd, comp., Boyd's Washington and Georgetown Directory (Washington, DC: Taylor and Maury, 1860), 83.