Jones, John W.
Born: 1806-04-14 Rockville, Maryland
Died: 1871-04-27 Decatur, Georgia
John Jones moved with his parents to Kentucky in 1810, who settled in Nicholas (now Bourbon) County. Jones attended common schools and Carlisle Seminary. He studied medicine and started a medical practice in Washington, Tennessee in 1826, before he moved to Monroe, Georgia and later Campbellton in 1829. He attended the University of Pennsylvania in 1830-1831, and then moved to Culloden, Georgia in 1833. Jones graduated from Jefferson Medical College and Therapeutic Institute at Philadelphia in 1836. He served in the Georgia House of Representatives in 1837, and then moved to Griffin in 1841, to continue his medical practice. In 1846, Jones won election, as a Whig, to the U.S. House of Representatives, serving alongside Abraham Lincoln from 1847 to 1849. He declined renomination and continued to practice medicine in Oak Bowery, Alabama. Jones served as a trustee of the Oak Bowery Female College in 1850. He moved to Auburn, Alabama in 1851 and was one of the founders of the Auburn Masonic Female College. Jones moved to Atlanta, Georgia in 1856 and worked as a professor in the Atlanta Medical College (now Emory University) in 1856-1862. He served as a surgeon in the Confederate Army during the Civil War.
Biographical Directory of the American Congress, 1774-1961 (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1961), 1138; Gravestone, Oakland Cemetery, Atlanta, GA.