Lat/Long: 38.8833, -90.1833
Originally several separate townships, Alton absorbed Lower Alton in 1835. Alton was the home of Elijah P. Lovejoy and his abolitionist newspaper, the
Merton L. Dillon, "Lovejoy, Elijah Parish," American National Biography, ed. by John A. Garraty and Mark C. Carnes (New York: Oxford University Press, 1999), 14:4-5; W. T. Norton, N. G. Flagg, and J. S. Hoerner, Centennial History of Madison County, Illinois, and Its People (Chicago: Lewis, 1912), 1:480.