County: Des Moines
Lat/Long: 40.8000, -91.1000
Located in southeast Iowa on the Mississippi River, Burlington was settled in 1832 on the site of an Indian village. In 1836, the Iowa Territorial Legislature incorporated it as a town. It served as the temporary seat of government for the Iowa Territory in 1838. In 1840, it became the county seat of Des Moines County.
"Burlington, Iowa," Webster's New Geographical Dictionary (Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 1988), 192; Augustine M. Antrobus, History of Des Moines County Iowa and its People (Chicago: S. J. Clarke, 1915), 1:110.