Lat/Long: 39.759537, -84.191861
Dayton was surveyed and laid out in November 1795 at the confluence of the Great Miami and Mad rivers. In 1803, commissioners appointed by the Ohio General Assembly chose Dayton as the seat of Montgomery County. The town received a post office in 1804 and was incorporated in 1805.
History of Montgomery County, Ohio (Chicago: W. H. Beers, 1882), 301, 307, 547, 549, 560.