Lat/Long: 40.7833, -89.3500
Originally settled as Hanover in 1836, commissioners appointed by the Illinois General Assembly selected Metamora as the county seat of Woodford County, in June 1843. In 1845, citizens of the town changed its name to Metamora, and the General Assembly ratified the change.
The Past and Present of Woodford County, Illinois (Chicago: Wm. Le Baron Jr., 1878), 245, 288-89; “An Act to Legalize the Location of the County Seat of Woodford county, and to Change the Name of the County Seat Thereof,” 21 February 1845, Laws of Illinois (1845), 345.