Lat/Long: 41.0167, -89.4000
Originally a part of Putnam County, the area that became Lacon was laid out in 1831 and named Columbia. In 1837, area residents changed the name to Lacon. When the Illinois General Assembly created Marshall County out of Putnam in 1839, Lacon became the county seat of the new county.
John S. Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois (Chicago: Pioneer, 1907), 17-18.