Crawford County, Illinois
County: Crawford County
Lat/Long: 39.005338, -87.741176
Illinois' territorial governing council created Crawford County in 1816 out of Edwards County. Originally comprising almost one-third of the state, the county was reduced almost to its present size by 1821. In 1818, commissioners appointed for the purpose chose a site for the county seat and named it Palestine. In 1843, Crawford County voters elected to move the county seat to a location closer to the geographical center of the county, which became the town of Robinson.
"An Act for the Division of Edwards County," 31 December 1816, Laws of Illinois Territory (1817), 21-23; William Henry Perrin, ed., History of Crawford and Clark Counties, Illinois (Chicago: O. L. Baskin, 1883), 41-42.