Grand View, Illinois (Edgar Co.)
City: Grand View
Lat/Long: 39.541985, -87.845734
Grand View is a town in Edgar County, Illinois. Located nine miles southwest of Paris, Grand View became the site of a settlement in the early 1830s. In February 1830, the U.S. Post Office Department established a post office in the area named Sutherland’s. James Archer established and laid out what would become Grand View in 1831. In September 1833, the name of the village was changed from Sutherland’s to Grand View.
James N. Adams, comp., Illinois Place Names (Springfield: Illinois State Historical Society, 1989), 377; The History of Edgar County, Illinois (Chicago: Wm. Le Baron, Jr., 1879), 345, 364; Edward Callary, Place Names of Illinois (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2009), 144.