Johnson County, Illinois
Lat/Long: 37.4500, -88.8667
The Governor of Illinois Territory created Johnson County in 1812, and appointed the house of John Bradshaw as the seat of justice. In 1818, commissioners fixed a place for a permanent county seat, which became the town of Vienna.
Proclamation of Ninian Edwards, 14 September 1812, in Edmund J. James, ed., Territorial Records of Illinois, No. 3 of Publications of the Illinois State Historical Library (Springfield, IL: Phillips Brothers, 1901), 26; Leorah Chapman, A History of Johnson County, Illinois (Herrin, IL: Herrin News, 1925), 60-61, 294.