Lat/Long: 38.6000, -89.1000
The village of Sandoval, located approximately five miles north of Centralia, was established by the Illinois Central Railroad Company on land owned by the railroad. The U.S. Post Office Department established a post office at the site at the end of 1854, and the village was surveyed and laid out in the spring of 1855. The sale of lots in Sandoval was promoted in 1855 by touting the fact that the main and Chicago branches of Illinois Central Railroad as well as the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad all converged in the village. Sandoval was chartered as a town in 1859.
J. H. G. Brinkerhoff, Brinkerhoff’s History of Marion County Illinois (Indianapolis: B. F. Bowen, 1909), 185; Edward Callary, Place Names of Illinois (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2009), 309; James N. Adams, comp., Illinois Place Names (Springfield: Illinois State Historical Society, 1989), 499; Illinois Daily Journal (Springfield), 2 May 1855, 3:1; “An Act to Incorporate the Town of Sandoval, in Marion County, and for Other Purposes,” 18 February 1859, Private Laws of Illinois (1859), 673-80.