Lat/Long: 38.9667, -90.4167
Grafton was established as a ferry point across the Mississippi River. The first house in the town was built in 1832, and it received a U.S. Post Office in 1834. Grafton was situated in Greene County until Jersey County was formed in 1839.
James N. Adams, comp., Illinois Place Names (Springfield: Illinois State Historical Society, 1989), 376; Oscar B. Hamilton, ed., History of Jersey County Illinois (Chicago: Munsell, 1919), 89-90.