Lat/Long: 38.2000, -86.1167
Located eighteen miles west southwest of New Albany, Corydon is the seat of government for Harrison County. Settled before the War of 1812, Corydon was the capital of the Indiana Territory from 1813 to 1816, and capital of the state of Indiana from 1816 to 1825. During John Hunt Morgan's raid of the North in July 1863, Corydon became the site of the only pitched battled fought on Indiana soil during the Civil War. Hunt captured and occupied Corydon for a short time.
Webster's New Geographical Dictionary (Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 1988), 294; Lora Schmidt Cahill and David L. Mowery, Morgan's Raid Across Ohio: The Civil War Guidebook of the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail (Columbus: Ohio Historical Society, 2014), 45-46.