Lat/Long: 42.2333, -70.8833
Settled in 1633 by Puritans escaping religious persecution in their native England, Hingham was incorporated into a town in 1635. In 1655, the Wampanoag sachem Wompatuck deeded the land on which Hingham was settled to the English immigrants. Originally part of Suffolk County, in 1803, Hingham was incorporated into Plymouth County. Settlers named the town after a small village in Norfolk County, East Anglia, from which most came, including Samuel Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's first American ancestor.
D. Hamilton Hurd, comp., History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts (Philadelphia, PA: J. W. Lewis, 1884), 1056-1104; History of the Town of Hingham, Massachusetts (Hingham, MA: Published by the Town; Cambridge, MA: John Wilson & Son, 1893), 1, part 1:201-208.