Lat/Long: 40.5000, -90.3833
Marietta, Illinois is a village in Fulton County, Illinois, located seven miles southeast of Bushnell. Proprietors Lorenzo Bevans and Benjamin Hoyt founded the village in 1837. The U.S. Post Office Department established a post office in the village in March 1838. In March 1840, the village changed its name to Vanopolis, but it reverted back to Marietta in January 1842.
James N. Adams, comp., Illinois Place Names (Springfield: Illinois State Historical Society, 1989), 431; Edward Callary, Place Names of Illinois (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2009), 214.