Lat/Long: 41.3500, -83.1167
Originally a Wyandot village, the area that would become Fremont began to attract Europeans and African-Americans, mostly runaway slaves, in the early nineteenth century. The settlement came to be known as Lower Sandusky due to its proximity to the Sandusky River. In 1821, Lower Sandusky became the county seat of Sandusky County. In 1849, residents changed the name to Fremont, in honor of John C. Frémont.
History of Sandusky County Ohio (Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bro., 1882), 397-419.