Lat/Long: 39.7942, -91.5232
Laid out in 1819, Palmyra became the county seat of Marion County in June 1827. In 1830, Palmyra received incorporation as a town. During the Civil War, Palmyra was the site of the so called "Palmyra Massacre" when, on October 17, 1862, Union Colonel John McNeil ordered the execution of ten Confederate prisoners of war in reprisal for the abduction of Union supporter Andrew Allsman.
Walter Williams, ed., A History of Northeast Missouri (Chicago: Lewis, 1913), 1:449, 450, 452, 456-47, 459-60; David W. Eaton, "How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams were Named," Missouri Historical Review 11 2 (January 1917), 193.