Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad
The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad was created in February 1855, when the Illinois General Assembly passed an act amending the charter of the Chicago and Southwestern Railroad Company, which was formerly known as the Chicago and Aurora Railroad Company. The railroad was authorized to extend its main line from Aurora in Kane County, Illinois to Chicago by way of Naperville, Illinois. In June 1864, it merged with the Peoria and Burlington Rail Road Company and its legal name was modified slightly to the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad.
“An Act to Amend an Act Entitled, ‘An Act to Amend the Charter of the Chicago and Aurora Railroad Company,’ Approved February 28, 1854,” 14 February 1855, Private Laws of Illinois (1855), 287-88; “An Act to Amend the Charter of the Chicago and Aurora Railroad Company,” 28 February 1854, Laws of Illinois (1854), 143; A. W. Newton, “The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company, February 14, 1855 - July 9, 1856,” The Railway and Locomotive Historical Society Bulletin 78 (October 1949), 46.