Sangamon County Circuit Court
Upon the county's creation in 1821, the Illinois General Assembly placed it in the First Judicial Circuit. In 1839, they moved it to the Eighth Circuit, and in 1857 they placed it in the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit. In 1838, Stuart & Lincoln rented their office to the Sangamon County Circuit Court to use as a jury room. The court paid them $36 per year in rent between July 1837 and December 1840. Lincoln and his partners participated in approximately 2,400 cases in the Sangamon County Circuit Court.
"An Act changing the Terms of the Circuit Courts and altering the Circuits," 14 February 1821, Laws of Illinois (1821), 157; An Act Dividing the State into Judicial Circuits; "An Act to Establish the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit," 11 February 1857, Laws of Illinois (1857), 14-16; Martha L. Benner and Cullom Davis et al., eds., The Law Practice of Abraham Lincoln: Complete Documentary Edition, 2d edition (Springfield: Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, 2009), http://www.lawpracticeofabrahamlincoln.org/Search.aspx.