Lat/Long: 39.3500, -86.6667
Situated on the banks of the White River, Gosport was platted in June 1829 after serving as a shipping point for flatboats for several years. It soon grew into a distribution and trade center for Owen County and the surrounding area, and eventually many goods were transported to markets in New Orleans and Pittsburgh as well. Grain, lumber, and livestock were the primary items traded. By 1850, the town was also home to a thriving pork slaughter and packing business, killing as many as 33,000 hogs per year. After the construction of the Louisville, New Albany & Chicago Railroad, competition dampened the town's pork industry but increased its trade overall. The town was incorporated March 9, 1865.
Charles Blanchard, ed., Counties of Clay and Owen, Indiana (Chicago: F. A. Battey, 1884), 712-16.