Lat/Long: 40.0000, -90.0000
Newmansville, Illinois, is a community in Cass County, Illinois, located nine miles west of Petersburg. In January 1850, the U.S. Post Office Department established a post office at what came to be called Nancemont. In 1852, the name changed to Hagley. The Reverend Wingate Newman laid out what would become Newmansville in 1858. In February 1860, the Post Office Department changed the name of the post office to Newmansville before changing it backed to Hagley in March 1860. The community and post office reverted to the name Newmansville in 1875.
James N. Adams, comp., Illinois Place Names (Springfield: Illinois State Historical Society, 1989), 382, 453; Edward Callary, Place Names of Illinois (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2009), 248; Newton Bateman and Paul Selby, eds., Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Cass County, ed. by Charles Æ. Martin (Chicago: Munsell, 1915), 2:821.