New Lisbon, Ohio
City: New Lisbon
Lat/Long: 40.7667, -80.7667
Located twenty miles south of Youngstown, New Lisbon is the original name of Lisbon, Ohio, the county seat of Columbiana County, Ohio. White settlers began moving to the area after the American Revolution, and in 1800, settlers established a village, naming it for Lisbon, the capital of Portugal. In February 1803, proprietors platted the village, and in 1825, the Ohio General Assembly charted New Lisbon as a village. The village grew steadily, and in 1835, the prospects of a canal promoted the hopes of local residents. The Panic of 1837 scuttled plans for the canal, and many businesses closed and residents left New Lisbon, slowing growth for a number of years. During the Civil War, Confederate General John Hunt Morgan and his cavalry surrendered nearby at West Point, Ohio, ending Morgan's raid through Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio. In 1895, the Court of Common Pleas changed the name from New Lisbon to Lisbon.
History of Columbiana County Ohio (Philadelphia: D. W. Ensign, 1879), 106-7; Webster's New Geographical Dictionary (Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 1988), 675; William B. McCord, ed., History of Columbiana County, Ohio and Representative Citizens (Chicago: Biographical, 1905), 272; James A. Ramage, Rebel Raider: The Life of General John Hunt Morgan (Lexington: The University Press of Kentucky, 1986) 178.