Lat/Long: 40.4500, -90.6667
In 1830, the Illinois General Assembly appointed a site for the seat of McDonough County and named it Macomb. Located in western Illinois, thirty-seven miles south-southwest of Galesburg, Macomb received a U.S. Post Office in November 1831. In 1841, the General Assembly incorporated Macomb as a town, and in 1855 as a city.
“An Act to Establish a Permanent Seat of Justice for the County of McDonough,” 24 December 1830, Laws of Illinois (1831), 62; Webster's New Geographical Dictionary (Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 1988), 704; James N. Adams, comp., Illinois Place Names (Springfield: Illinois State Historical Society, 1989), 428; An Act to Incorporate the Town of Macomb; “An Act to Incorporate the City of Macomb,” 15 February 1855, Private Laws of Illinois (1855), 10-29.