County: Jo Daviess
Lat/Long: 42.3167, -90.2167
The village of Elizabeth is located twelve miles east-southeast of Galena. White settlers moved to the vicinity of Elizabeth throughout the 1830s and the village was laid out by a surveyor in 1839. A U.S. Post Office was established in the area in 1828 as Apple River, with the name changed to Elizabeth in 1842.
Edward Callary, Place Names of Illinois (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2009), 109; The History of Jo Daviess County Illinois (Chicago: H. F. Kett, 1878), 582-86.