Lat/Long: 38.6000, -89.3667
In 1825, Carlyle became the county seat of newly-created Clinton County. It was chartered as a town in 1837, and as a city in 1861. Carlyle is located about forty miles east of East St. Louis. Early in the settlement’s history, the spelling of Carlisle was also used.
Merriam-Webster’s Geographical Dictionary, 3rd ed. (Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 1997), 215; Edward Callary, Place Names of Illinois (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2009), 58-59; History of Marion and Clinton Counties, Illinois (Philadelphia: Brink, McDonough, 1881), 174; An Act concerning the Towns of Mount Vernon, Columbus, Mount Sterling, and Salem; “An Act to Incorporate the City of Carlyle,” 22 February 1861, Private Laws of Illinois (1861), 185-89.