Lat/Long: 39.102, -88.597
Commissioners appointed for the purpose chose Ewington as the county seat of Effingham County in 1831. The following year, Ewington received a U.S. Post Office. Ewington remained the county seat until 1859, when voters chose to move the seat to Effingham. The town was named in honor of William L. D. Ewing.
William Henry Perrin, ed., History of Effingham County, Illinois (Chicago: O. L. Baskin, 1883), 37, 80; James N. Adams, comp., Illinois Place Names (Springfield: Illinois State Historical Society, 1989), 357.