Green County, Wisconsin
Lat/Long: 42.8333, -89.6000
Green County is a county in south central Wisconsin. Located south of Madison on the border with Illinois, what would become Green County attracted white settlers drawn to the lead mines in the area. Euro Americans settled the area in 1828, and following the Black Hawk War in 1832, immigration into the county increased. The Wisconsin Territorial Legislature organized Green County from Iowa County on December 8, 1836. Monroe became the county seat in 1839.
Helen M. Bingham, History of Green County, Wisconsin (Milwaukee: Burdick & Armitage, 1877), 9, 12-15, 25-28; Frank R. Abate, ed., American Places Dictionary (Detroit: Omnigraphics, 1994), 3:962; Louise Phelps Kellogg, “Organization, Boundaries, and Names of Wisconsin Counties,” Proceedings of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin at its Fifty-Seventh Annual Meeting Held October 21, 1909 (Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1910), 196.