Lat/Long: 39.6068, -75.8333
Situated on the Elk River in northeast Maryland, Elkton is the county seat of Cecil County. Settled by Swedish mariners in 1694 and formerly known as Head of Elk, Elkton became county seat of Cecil County in 1787, the same year that the Maryland General Assembly incorporated it as a town. In 1807, the town possessed one hundred and twenty buildings, and was known for its production of wheat and of castor and wool hats.
Moses Foster Sweetser, The Middle States: A Handbook for Travellers, 4th ed. (Boston: James R. Osgood, 1884), 388; Webster's New Geographical Dictionary (Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 1988), 367; George Johnston, History of Cecil County, Maryland (Elkton, MD: George Johnston, 1881), 365-66, 403-4, 495.