Lat/Long: 28.9333, -95.2833
Present-day Freeport, Texas, Velasco is located on the east side of the Brazos River. Founded in 1831, the town was the site of a battle between Texans and Mexicans in 1832--the first conflict in the Texas Revolution. After the Battle of San Jacinto, President David G. Burnet made Velasco the temporary capital of the Republic of Texas. Antonio López de Santa Anna and Burnet signed two treaties at Velasco on May 14, 1836, in hopes of ending the Texas Revolution and achieving Mexican recognition of Texas’ independence. During the Civil War, Velasco was occupied by the Confederate Army.
Merle Weir, “Velasco, Texas,” Handbook of Texas Online, https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvv07, accessed 5 February 2020.