Hinds County, Mississippi
Lat/Long: 32.3000, -90.2333
Hinds County is located in the west central part of Mississippi. The Mississippi Legislature established the county on February 12, 1821. The legislators named it for Thomas Hinds, a Mississippi soldier and politician who fought in the War of 1812 and negotiated with the Choctaw Indians to gain the cession of territory from which the Legislature created the county. Bordered on the northwest by the Big Black River and on the east by the Pearl River, Hinds County became known as the "mother of counties," as the Mississippi Legislature carved four counties out of it between 1823 and 1829. The county seats are Raymond and Jackson.
Dunbar Rowland, ed., Encyclopedia of Mississippi History (Madison, WI: Selwyn A. Brant, 1907), 1:868-71.