Plat of Sec[Section] 16. T[Township] 19 N. R[North of Range] 8 W.[West]1
No 11 No 8 No 7 No 6 No 3 No 2 No 1
45. 93/100 46 66 24/100 51 48/100 59 33/100 76 81/100 79 2/100
acres acres acres acres acres acres acres

<Page 2>
[docketing]
T 19 R. 8
Plat 16 Section
1The land described here lies in the northeast corner of present-day Cass County.
In 1818, when Congress passed the act enabling the Illinois Territory to become a state, it granted to every township in the state the proceeds of the sale of land in each township’s Section 16. This money became known as the common school fund.
“An Act to Enable the People of the Illinois Territory to Form a Constitution and State Government, and for the Admission of Such State into the Union on an Equal Footing with the Original States,” 18 April 1818, Statutes at Large of the United States, 3:428-31; W. L. Pillsbury, “Early Education in Illinois,” in Sixteenth Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction of the State of Illinois (Springfield, IL: H. W. Rokker, 1886), 106-07.

Handwritten Transcription, 2 page(s), Lincoln Collection, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum (Springfield, IL)