View up to date information on how Illinois is handling the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) from the Illinois Department of Public Health


Illinoian

City: Jacksonville

County: Morgan

State: Illinois

The Illinoian originated as the Illinois Patriot, established in 1831 by James G. Edwards in support of Henry Clay in the presidential election of 1832. In 1838, Josiah M. Lucas purchased the Patriot and changed the name to The Illinoian. Under Lucas' direction, the paper became a standard bearer for the Whig Party. Aylett H. Buckner and John J. Hardin were the first editors. Lucas himself later took over the editorial duties, and continued to edit and publish the paper until 1843, when he sold his interest to J. M. Hodge and William C. Swett. Hodge became editor in 1843, and Hodge and Swett continued to publish the paper until April 9, 1844, when it was discontinued.

Franklin William Scott, Newspapers and Periodicals of Illinois, 1814-1879, vol. 6 of Collections of the Illinois State Historical Library (Springfield: Illinois State Historical Library, 1910), 203; Charles M. Eames, comp., Historic Morgan and Classic Jacksonville (Jacksonville, IL: Daily Journal Steam Job Printing, 1885), 97; Newton Bateman and Paul Selby, eds., Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Morgan County, ed. by William F. Short (Chicago: Munsell, 1906), 710-11.