Miller, George G.
Flourished: Miller's Ferry, Illinois
Miller arrived in Sangamon County, Illinois, in 1820. Miller opened and operated a ferry on the Sangamon River twelve miles northwest of Old Salem, Illinois. The area surrounding Miller's ferry came to be known as Miller's Ferry. Miller was one of the original proprietors of Huron, a town located near Miller’s Ferry that Abraham Lincoln surveyed in 1836, and which would become part of Menard County. Miller owned 581.2 acres of land at the time of his death in 1842. The Menard County Circuit Court named his widow, Hannah, as administratrix of the estate. She retained Lincoln & Herndon and petitioned the court to grant her a fifty-acre dower as stipulated in the will.
Gravestone, Lebanon Cemetery, Petersburg, IL; "Lincoln and the Town of Huron," Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society 49 (1956), 420; Survey of Huron, Illinois; Survey of Huron, Illinois; R. D. Miller, Past and Present of Menard County, Illinois (Chicago: S. J. Clarke, 1905), 68; Miller v. Miller et al., Martha L. Benner and Cullom Davis et al., eds., The Law Practice of Abraham Lincoln: Complete Documentary Edition, 2d edition (Springfield: Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, 2009), http://www.lawpracticeofabrahamlincoln.org/Details.aspx?case=135138.