County: Sangamon County
Lat/Long: 40.0167, -89.7833
Abraham Lincoln surveyed the town in 1836, which was located at Miller’s Ferry, Illinois, at the main crossing of the Sangamon River between Springfield and Havana. The proprietors were Stephen T. Logan, James Adams, Gershom Jayne, John T. Stuart, David Prickett, Simeon Francis, Ninian W. Edwards, Samuel Morris, William Carpenter, George Miller, and Samuel H. Treat. A U.S. Post Office was established there in 1837. The town never thrived, and the area later became known as Walker's Grove in 1840 and Sand Ridge in 1841 before passing out of existence.
Benjamin P. Thomas, Lincoln's New Salem (Springfield, IL: The Abraham Lincoln Association, 1934), 118; Inventory of the County Archives of Illinois: Menard County (Petersburg), No. 65 (Chicago: Illinois Historical Records Survey, 1941), 22-23; James N. Adams, comp., Illinois Place Names (Springfield, IL: Illinois State Historical Library, 1989), 398, 499; Survey of Huron, Illinois.