Lat/Long: 41.4833, -81.6833
A major city and port of entry laying near the mouth of the Cuyahoga River on Lake Erie in northern Ohio, Cleveland is the county seat of Cuyahoga County. Surveyors representing the Connecticut Land Company surveyed and platted the town in 1796, naming Clevealand for their leader, Moses Clevealand. In 1814, the Ohio Legislature incorporated Clevealand as a village. The village expanded rapidly after the opening of the first section of the Ohio and Erie Canal in 1827. In 1831, editors at the
"Clevealand, Moses," Encyclopedia of Cleveland History, accessed 13 April 2020, https://case.edu/ech/articles/c/cleaveland-moses; Merriam-Webster's Geographical Dictionary, 3rd ed. (Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 2001), 260; Henry E. Bourne, "The Story of Cleveland," New England Magazine 14 (March 1896), 744.