Madison County, Illinois
Lat/Long: 38.6667, -90.1500
Governor Ninian Edwards proclaimed the creation of Madison County, Illinois, on September 12, 1812, naming it for then-President James Madison. As originally created, the county extended north to Lake Michigan and to the border of Rupert's Land. In 1814, the territorial legislature broke away the eastern part of the county to form part of Edwards County. It was again reduced in 1818, when its northern boundary was reduced from the Canadian border to the northern border of Illinois. The legislature significantly reduced the county in 1821, breaking away Greene, Sangamon, Pike, and Montgomery counties, although part of Greene was returned to Madison in 1825. In 1829, part of the county was removed to create Macoupin County, setting its current boundaries. Edwardsville became the county seat upon the county's creation.
Origin and Evolution of Illinois Counties (Springfield: Illinois Secretary of State, 2010), 5-9, 60; W. T. Norton, N. G. Flagg, and J. S. Hoerner, eds., Centennial History of Madison County, Illinois, and Its People, 1812-1912 (Chicago: Lewis, 1912), 19-40; John M. Peck, A Gazetteer of Illinois in Three Parts (Jacksonville, IL: R. Goudy, 1834), 141-42.