Bond County, Illinois
Lat/Long: 38.8833, -89.4333
The Illinois Territorial Assembly carved Bond County out of Madison County in 1817. The first county seat was at a town called Perryville. In 1821, the Illinois General Assembly divided Bond County, leaving Perryville on the Fayette County side of the line. The legislature appointed a commission to fix a new seat for Bond County, and the commission chose the site, acquired the land, and it was named Greenville.
"An Act Forming a New County out of the County of Madison," 4 January 1817, Laws of Illinois Territory (1817), 28-31; "An Act Forming a New County out of the Parts of Counties therein Contained," 14 February 1821, Laws of Illinois (1821), 164-67; William Henry Perrin, ed., History of Bond and Montgomery Counties, Illinois (Chicago: O. L. Baskin, 1882), 30-32, 74-76.