Certificate of Survey for Alvin Ringo, 16 November 18361
Lincoln Memorial Collection
A Collection of Articles once Owned and Used by Abraham Lincoln.
OFFICE 94 MARKET STREET.2
Surveyed forRingo a tract of land composed of parts of Sections 30 & 31 in Township 18 North of Range 7 West and bounded as follows viz. Beginning on the line dividing Ranges 7 & 8 at a point 6 Chains & 81 links North of the North West corner of the said Section 31 at a White Oak 16 inches in diameter bearing N.[North] 43½ E.[East] 48 links. Thence East 14 chains & 93 links to a White Oak 36 inches N 50 W[West] 32 links. Thence South 20 chains & 7 links to a Sugar tree 14 inches N 29 W 53 links. Thence West 14 chains & 93 links to a Hickory 14 inches S.[South] 22 E 19 links. Thence North 20 chains & 7 links to the beginning3
T. M. Neale S. S. C.[Surveyor of Sangamon County]
By A. Lincoln
[endorsement]
09/07/1887
The above is a true copy
S. B. Munson
1Lincoln apparently performed two surveys for Alvin Ringo; the certificates were likely originally written on the same piece of paper and separated later. This text, the first of the two surveys, only survives in the form of two handwritten transcriptions. The original of the second survey, in Lincoln’s hand, is extant.
2John M. Keyes and Samuel B. Munson collaborated with William H. Herndon to compile and exhibit the Lincoln Memorial Collection in Chicago in 1886 and 1887. The entire collection was sold at auction in Philadelphia in 1894.
David Donald, Lincoln’s Herndon (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1948), 313-14; Catalogue of Articles Owned and Used by Abraham Lincoln, Now Owned by the Lincoln Memorial Collection of Chicago ([Chicago]: [Lincoln Memorial Collection], 1887); Stan. V. Henkels, comp., The Valuable Collection of Autographs and Historical Papers Collected by the Hon. Jas. T. Mitchell of the Supreme Court of Penna.; Also the Entire Lincoln Memorial Collection of Chicago, Ill., at One Time the Personal Property of Abraham Lincoln (Philadelphia: Stan V. Henkels, 1894), 108.
3The land described here is located near Clary Creek in present-day Menard County, southwest of Petersburg.

Handwritten Transcription, 1 page(s), Herndon-Weik Collection of Lincolniana, Library of Congress [Washington, DC]