Chicago & Mississippi Railroad
State: <a href="/places/">Illinois</a>
The Chicago and Mississippi Railroad Company received its charter in 1852. Running 285 miles in length, it connected Chicago and Alton, stopping along the way in Springfield and Bloomington. In 1855, the railroad connected with the Alton and Sangamon Railroad, and the two were combined to form the Chicago, Alton, & St. Louis Railroad. After a reorganization of the company, the Illinois General Assembly rechartered the railroad as the St. Louis, Alton, & Chicago Railroad in 1857.
Newton Bateman and Paul Selby, eds., Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Sangamon County (Chicago: Munsell, 1912), 1:100; The Rail-Roads, History and Commerce of Chicago, 2d edition (Chicago: Democratic Press Job and Book Steam Printing Office, 1854), 18.