Peoria County Circuit Court
In 1827, the Illinois General Assembly placed Peoria County in the First Judicial Circuit. It remained in the First Judicial Circuit until 1829, when the General Assembly moved it to the Fifth Judicial Circuit. In 1835, the General Assembly again reorganized the judicial circuits, moving Peoria County to the Sixth Judicial Circuit. Another reorganization occurred in 1839, and the General Assembly moved Peoria County to the Ninth Judicial Circuit. It remained in the Ninth Judicial Circuit until 1849, when the General Assembly moved it to the Tenth Judicial Circuit. In 1853, Peoria County moved again, this time to the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit, where it remained through the Civil War.
"An Act to Amend An Act Constituting and Regulating the Supreme and Circuit Courts of this State, Approved December 29, 1824," 12 January 1827, Revised Laws of Illinois (1827), 119; "An Act Supplemental to the Act Entitled, 'An Act Regulating the Supreme and Circuit Courts, Approved January 19, 1829,'" 23 January 1829, Revised Laws of Illinois (1829), 48; An Act Dividing the State into Judicial Circuits; An Act Dividing the State into Judicial Circuits; "An Act to Establish the Tenth Judicial Circuit, and to Fix the Times of Holding Courts in the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Ninth, and Eleventh Judicial Circuits, and for Other Purposes," 1 December 1849, Laws of Illinois (1849), 12; "An Act to Establish the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit in the State of Illinois," 9 February 1853, General Laws of Illinois (1853), 127.