Mount Pulaski, Illinois
City: Mount Pulaski
Lat/Long: 40.0000, -89.2667
Jabez Capps, George W. Turley, and Dr. Barton Robinson platted Mount Pulaski in 1836. Turley named the town Pulaski (soon to become Mount Pulaski) in honor of the Revolutionary War hero Casimir Pulaski. In 1848, Mount Pulaski became the county seat of Logan County. It remained the county seat until 1855, when the town of Lincoln became the new seat of government. Abraham Lincoln participated in a large number of cases in the Logan County Circuit Court during his career as an attorney.
Lawrence B. Stringer, History of Logan County Illinois (Chicago: Pioneer, 1911), 1:589-91, 594; For Lincoln's cases in Logan County, search Court Name, "Logan County Circuit Court," Martha L. Benner and Cullom Davis et al., eds., The Law Practice of Abraham Lincoln: Complete Documentary Edition, 2d edition (Springfield: Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, 2009), http://www.lawpracticeofabrahamlincoln.org.